Marijuana Use in Massachusetts
Marijuana use. Although it’s still federally prohibited, many states, including Massachusetts, have legalized marijuana for both recreational and medical use. While the state law permits marijuana usage, there are restrictions in place that must be adhered to for legal recreational use. To comply with state law for recreational use, an individual must be:
- Twenty-one or older
- Not use marijuana in any public space
- Not use marijuana in any place where smoking is prohibited
- Not use marijuana on federal land
- Not use or consume marijuana while operating a motor vehicle
- Not have marijuana in an open container in a vehicle (similar to the state law for alcohol consumption)
- Possess only one ounce of marijuana carried on one’s person
- Grow no more than six plants for personal use
Medical Marijuana in Massachusetts
While the laws pertaining to medical marijuana use in Massachusetts are similar, there are several important differences. Procuring a medical marijuana card can be beneficial because it allows for greater flexibility around some of the requirements for legal medicinal marijuana usage in MA. For example, if you have a medical marijuana card:
- There is no sales tax on your medical marijuana purchase. Recreational marijuana has a 20% tax on it.
- You can choose from a larger variety of marijuana products.
- Marijuana is available to you in higher doses.
- Some dispensaries offer discounts for medical marijuana users.
- At Medical Marijuana Dispensaries, there are checkout lines specifically for patients purchasing medical marijuana, so there is no waiting in long lines.
- Home delivery services are available.
- You can visit any medical or recreational marijuana dispensary in the state of MA.
- You can possess up to a 60-day supply of medical marijuana, which is approximately 10 ounces.
Medical marijuana usage may be approved for users eighteen and older, while those under eighteen require parental consent.
There are benefits to becoming a medical marijuana user in Massachusetts, but there are legal requirements, as well. To comply with state law, an individual has to:
- Have a qualifying medical condition
- Be certified by an accredited medical provider
- Be a legal resident of the state
- Have proof of residency and a legal state ID
To be approved for a Massachusetts Medical Marijuana Certification, you can make an appointment with our medical practitioner, who is a state-licensed nurse practitioner. During your appointment, you will review your medical history with the practitioner. If your medical condition(s) meet the criteria for medical marijuana usage, you will have to register with the Massachusetts Medical Use of Marijuana Program. We can assist you with that process if you are unable to access the technology to do it on your own.
Our fee for the initial application for the Medical Use of Marijuana Program is $100 while the renewal fee is $50. Medical marijuana users must have their medical history reviewed annually and the medical certification must be renewed each year. Our initial application and renewal fees are consistently the lowest in the state for this process.
Let us Help You
Canna Card Express is located at 1 Kelly SQ in Worcester, MA. Call (508) 817-9300 or email us at email@example.com so we can help you with all your medical marijuana needs.
Disclaimer: The information contained here was not written by a medical doctor and is intended for informational purposes only. This is not a substitute for medical advice.